High CPU usage and then slowing down of PC speed makes the user irritated and also affects their ongoing work. One of the reasons for the slow PC or high CPU usage is Modern Setup Host. While you are working on your project, suddenly you can encounter an error notifying you of high CPU usage. Out of many causes, we are here discussing everything you shall know about modern setup host high CPU usage.
What is Modern Setup Host, and Why it’s Slowing Down Your PC?
Modern Setup Host is a achieve and automatic installer that is located in C drive of your computer. It is preinstalled windows registry tool that is the part of your Windows Operating System Files. Modern Setup host is present in beta version in Windows 10 and Windows 8.
Modern Host setup detects and helps to retrieve installation of windows update on your computer. Modern setup host usually keeps running in the background of your computer. You can find modern setup host in your Windows task manager by running and consuming space in your CPU by name of setuphost.exe.
Since it has the user admin privileges in your computer, it can easily acquire more space on your memory when it starts extracting the windows update files. Sometimes due to curropt update file which fails to load can cause modern setup host disk usage and effects the speed of your PC by slowing it down.
There are mainly two problems that are caused by modern host setup in windows pc i.e.,
1. Modern Host Setup consuming high CPU usage
2. Modern Setup Host stopped working.
We have listed the solutions for both the problems caused by modern host setup. Follow the methods to fix the modern setup host problems.
FIX: Modern Setup Host Failed to Load/High CPU Usage Error
Since modern setup host process is responsible for the Windows Update process, so any error in it will also cause an error in the windows update process. Follow the list below to select the best-suited solution for you and solve the problem of modern host setup high CPU usage permanently.
Using Windows Troubleshooter
You can fix the problem of modern setup host simply using windows troubleshooter. Windows troubleshooter comes built in windows 10, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7. If you are using windows XP then you can download the troubleshooter from official Microsoft website products download center. Follow the below-listed steps:
For Windows 10, 7, 8, & 8.1:
- Press Windows Button on your keyboard to open Start Menu,
- In the search box, type Troubleshoot, and select the top result,
- Now find the Windows Update Option and click on RUN,
- All the problem will be automatically fixed by Windows Troubleshooter,
If however, your windows troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem then you can move to another step.
For Windows XP :
- Download the troubleshooter from Microsoft,
- After the download is complete, open the troubleshooter setup,
- Press continue and install Windows Troubleshooter to your PC,
- Follow the above-listed steps for Windows 7 to Windows 10 version.
Using DISM Tool
During the Windows update process, if any of the windows update files fails to load, then usually modern setup host shows an error. In such cases, Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is another solution. DISM tool helps in repairing windows update files either by repairing them itself or by using a newly downloaded patch to repair the curropt windows updater files. Follow the below-listed steps to run the DISM tool to repair windows files:
- Press the Windows Key on your keyboard, to open the start menu,
- Now type CMD, in the search box of your windows start menu, and press enter,
- A new Command Prompt Windows will open,
- Run Command Prompt as an administrator,
- Now type the following command and press enter after each command line,
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
After you have completed all the commands for DISM host servicing process, Windows will check and redownload all the windows update files. If still there is a problem then you can move to another step to solve the modern setup host high CPU errors.
Clean Reboot Your PC
Sometimes due to many different running background processes and programs, A interference may occur between two similar running files, leading to failing the process of windows update and cause modern setup host error. In such cases, it is adviced that users shall clean reboot their system using minimum drivers and reboot programmes.
Follow the steps below to clean reboot your PC to fix Modern Setup Host Error:
- Press Windows Key on your Keyboard along with R, this will open RUN tool,
- Now type msconfig and press enter,
- After the new windows open, go to the general tab,
- Now go to system configuration, uncheck all the load startup items,
- Now go to Services, and click on hide all Microsoft services and click on disable all,
- Go to the Startup tab, click Open Task Manager,
- On the Startup tab in Task Manager, right-click on the every startup item with the Enabled status to select Disable,
- Now click on OK, and,
- Restart Your Computer.
After your system reboots, you shall check and start downloading the new Windows update files. By now your Modern setup host problem would have been rectified. If still, the problem persists, then you can move to further step.
Update Your Computer’s Region and Language
Sometimes when the system’s default language is set at different language then the default user interface language, the windows update process can encounter problems. These problems can also appear due to different location selected rather than your real geotag location. As a result of which, Modern Setup Host can occur with a technical error causing high CPU usage. Follow the steps below to fix High CPU usage in modern setup host due to language or regional settings:
- Press Windows Key and open START menu in your desktop,
- type CMD, to open the command prompt, (right click and open as administrator account)
- now type dism/online/get-intl and press Enter.
- This will tell your default system language,
- To change the language and region, close each window and come back to your home screen,
- Press Windows + I,
- Click on Time and Language option,
- Check and change the default language / region to your Windows UI language / Geotag Location,
By changing the language and region to your defaults, check if your windows updates are running properly or not. If still Windows update does not work properly and you are still getting modern setup host error, then you shall move further with the next step to solve the problem.
Delete Contents in ‘Software Distribution’ Folder
This is the solution for modern setup host windows 10 only. In Windows 10, there is a folder called Software Distribution. This folder is used by windows OS to store the temporarily downloaded Windows update files.
Many times some of the windows update files fails to download a complete update file, or a wrong file comes in place. Due to which many time modern setup host fails to start windows update and causes an error in your PC. This may also lead to slowing down of your computer. When you delete all the components of this folder, you can simply remove all the update files and your computer will start again with downloading all the update files. This will solve the problem of the broken update file on your computer.
- Press Windows Key + R, RUN tool will start,
- Now copy and paste the code below, and press enter,
- Software Distribution folder will open up,
- Now simply select all the items,
- Now Press SHIFT + DEL on your keyboard, and press yes.
Now all you have to do is restart your computer. Now all the update files that were downloaded on your pc will get deleted and Windows will initiate to download new windows update files. This process can simply eliminate the modern setup host high CPU usage problem as all the files would be downloaded once again.
Disable Windows Update Process
This is the easiest and straightforward method to fix modern setup host problem in your PC. In this method, you have simply turned off the updates for your windows. We do not recommend you to turn off any of the windows update processes as it helps to keep your pc up to date, still, it is the last resort left.
Follow the steps below to eliminate the modern setup host problem permanently from your pc;
- Press Windows Key + R, to open the RUN toolbar in your PC,
- type services.msc and press enter,
- A new window will appear, this is the services windows,
- Now go to properties option, and find Windows Update Options,
- Click on the tab and select disabled,
- Click apply and then OK,
Now all the updates for your computer have been stopped. Since there are no more update files, there would not be any problem related to modern setup host will appear in your computer once again.